Please visit ImagineADistrict.org for full details on the Facilities Master Plan.
Note from Blane McCann, October 9
Dear Westside Families,
Planning is underway for renovation of our schools. As you’ll recall, this renovation is possible thanks to voters’ passage of the $79.9 million bond issue last spring. I wanted to take a few minutes to update you on our progress.
Construction begins in January at the Community Conference Center. At our meeting on Monday, September 21, the Westside Board of Education approved the DLR Group as the designer for the new spaces at that building. DLR is designing space for the swing school on the upper level. The space will house Oakdale Elementary students beginning in the fall of 2016. Swanson and then Prairie Lane will also eventually send their students to this swing school as their schools are rebuilt or extensively renovated. DLR will design the lower level of the CCC for our Westside Career Center students as well as students participating in our CAPS (Center for Advanced Professional Studies) programs.
DLR’s contract also includes design of high-priority safety, security, and infrastructure projects at Hillside, Loveland, Paddock Road, Rockbrook, Westbrook, and Westgate. The District recommended DLR because the firm is familiar with District buildings and was able to undertake an aggressive timeline to complete the projects so the buildings are ready for the start of the 2016-2017 school year.
We are conducting a competitive bid process to select design firms for the remaining projects, including new construction at Oakdale Elementary and a building addition at Westside Middle School. The Board will approve designers and architects for the Oakdale and Westside Middle School projects. We will also hold a community input meeting following the approval to discuss the design of Oakdale with members of the community.
A five member Bond Oversight Committee (BOC) will oversee all the construction projects and timelines. The BOC meets at 6 p.m. the first Tuesday of each month to review construction progress. The next meeting is Tuesday, November 3. The public is invited to attend these meetings, as we want active, open communication in the community.
As we move through this process, I would encourage you to visit our facilities website at www.ImagineADistrict.org for the latest updates. I would also encourage you to follow our facilities Facebook page at Westside 66 Facilities or our facilities Twitter feed at @WCS66facilities. We will update these sites regularly as we begin our construction process.
Yours in Education,
Blane McCann, Ph.D.
Westside Community Schools
Facilities Master Plan Phase I Timelines. Powerpoint presentation click here
- Design firms to be hired by Oct/Nov for WMS/Oakdale (a firm will be hired for each school)
- MS and Oakdale Construction Concepts this Dec/Jan
- Oakdale demo/construction Aug 2016. 18 months or 1 ½ years at transition school (CCC).
- There is a planned 6 mos. gap between when Oakdale moves into new school and when Swanson moves out of old. Board members noted it might be best to see if educators wanted that timeline expedited.
- Swanson is currently set for 2017, Q1 Design; 2018 Q2 Construction.
- All schools/communities will be involved in the design process
- While some firms will be hired for specific schools; others will be hired for all school, e.g. traffic, geo thermal, and green energy where consistency across buildings would be helpful.
- The construction management group, Project Advocates, will present a monthly update. They have been on board from beginning of process and are actively interviewing and meeting with many Omaha companies.
Swanson parent volunteer, Peder Bartling, will be attending the Bond Oversight Committee meetings regarding the planning and expenditure of funds for facilities. All meetings for the BOC will be held at the ABC Building, 909 S. 76th Street. The public is welcome to attend. The tentative meeting schedule for the 2015-16 school year:
- November 3, 2015
- December 1, 2015
- January 5, 2016
- February 2, 2016
- March 1, 2016
- April 5, 2016
- May 3, 2016
- June 7, 2016